Report: Mawddach Permaculture Group
- This area still maintains unbroken
traditions ofa community, which until very recently was semi self-sufficient,
meeting its own needs in terms of goods, materials and culture.
- But this very community is subject
to erosion at a phenomenal rate. There is the loss of the sense of community,
depopulation by the movement of young people out of the area and increasing
crime and poverty.
- Solutions. Create a diverse community,
fully integrated, providing for all the needs of the community including satisfying,
- Support traditional culture,
especially language and the arts; learn from the past, use what worked.
Rekindle feelings of belonging, kinship and resposibility. Foster respect
for others' point of view.
- Set up and develop local
community centres to incorporate health, schooling, shared resources,
transport pools, washing facilities, cultural events etc.
- Facilitate education for
all, including say tourists. Teach community, responsibility, care.
- Foster community care and
health for the elderly, sick, physically and mentally challenged, locally
run health centres calling on outside specialist care when needed.
- Increase the quality of life,
- Satisfaction of needs locally;
encourage local\community self-sufficiency (jobs).
- Community events\tasks (shared
work and play).
- Encourage consultation and
involvement in community decision making.
- More people back on the land
in strong communities
- Integrate the diverse elements
of society; local industries can connect people together like tree nursery,
planter, forester, feller, haulage, sawyer, carpenter.
Rio 5 Economy